This weekend, I was lucky enough to travel to one of California's most beautiful areas -  up Highway 1 from the Bay Area to Mendocino.  Since it takes about 4 hours to drive there from Berkeley, I stayed with friends who have a cabin at the Russian River.  We left Berkeley Friday afternoon and made a stop in Sebastopol, which has a vintage store that I wanted to visit called Aubergine Vintage Emporium (755 Petaluma Ave., Sebastopol, CA, aubergineafterdark.com).  This store is unique because it is also a cafe and music venue.  I have been there before to hear music, but had never seen the store.  I noticed when I got there that that there was a poster announcing a group that I am very familiar with - Doug Blumer & Bohemian Highway who are playing there on May 17th.

Now about the store.  It is huge - 10,000 square feet and filled with every kind of vintage clothing item you can imagine.  There were rows and rows of vintage sweaters from the 1950's and a wall of cowboy boots in every color, style and size.  I saw two very long rows of purses and photographed a canvas and black leather Coach purse that I ended up buying for $38.  If I had been alone, I would have spent hours poking through everything.  Since I was with friends, I had to do a quick survey and take as many interesting photographs that I had time for.

On Saturday morning bright and early, we took off for Mendocino, driving up Highway 1.  The weather was amazing and the ocean beautiful at every curve in the road.  There was a little wind, so there were white caps on the ocean and waves breaking over rocks in the water.  Very dramatic effect!  We finally got to Mendocino about 2 hours later and after a coffee, I headed for the only vintage store in town called Mendo Village Clothing Exchange (10481 Lansing St., Mendocino, CA).  The store is owned and operated by Sarah Theiss and her 2 small dogs.  She was very encouraging about my blog and enjoyed taking out special items for me to photograph.  If you are ever in Mendocino, make sure you stop by and see Sarah and check out her store.

After a walk around the town of Mendocino, which is on a bluff overlooking the ocean, we decided to drive up the highway a few more miles to Fort Bragg.  I had heard that there were several vintage shops there (not true).  But Fort Bragg is a cute town too with a beautiful working harbor filled with fishing boats.  I was able to find one store with vintage beaded purses and jewelry called Mendocino Vintage (334 N. Franklin St., Fort Bragg, CA, mendocinovintage.com).  So here's the highlights of my vintage trip to the north coast.

The entrance to Aubergine Vintage Emporium in Sebastopol





Too many vests to choose from at Aubergine






Wall of Boots at Aubergine



Coach purse hiding in a row of hundreds of purses at Aubergine

Friendly sales rep welcoming me to Aubergine

The cafe/music venue at Aubergine with an outdoor patio

Entrance to Mendo Village Clothing Exchange in Mendocino


Sarah Theiss, owner of Mendo Village Clothing Exchange


I love this fur cape


Prada loafers at Mendo Village Clothing Exchange

Emmanuelle Khanh sunglasses from the 1970's

Victorian beaded top that would be perfect over a strapless silk dress


Sarah displaying a vintage white coat

Suede & faux fur coat

My favorite leather trench coat at Mendo Village Clothing Exchange

Sarah and her assistants at Mendo Village Clothing Exchange

Mendocino Vintage in Fort Bragg

Beaded purses at Mendocino Vintage

More beaded purses at Mendocino Vintage

Pins & clip-on earrings


Friendly sales rep at Mendocino Vintage

Jewelry in the case

Bakelite jewelry at Mendocino Vintage




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top