I recently bought the cookbook "What Katie Ate" and it is easily one of my favorites. It is packed full of interesting recipes and the photography is absolutely stunning. Not only is it a treat for the taste buds but it is also a treat for the eyes too. A few weekends ago I had some friends over for a backyard barbecue and I figured this was a good opportunity to try out a new recipe for homemade burgers and I decided to go with Katie's recipe for Aussie Chili Burgers because the recipe looked way too delicious to pass up.

YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot mustard
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- salt & pepper

(In Katie's words...)
Into a large bowl add all of the above ingredients and using clean hands combine thoroughly. Form into 6-8 hamburger patties. I like to use a 4 inch round food mould to shape each one - I press the meat into the mould and press down firmly to form uniform sized burgers then remove the ring and place burgers on a plate lined with kitchen towel, wrap with cling wrap and chill until required. When ready sear on a hot griddle pan then fry until browned and cooked through. 

Serve on a toasted crusty bread bun along with lettuce, fresh tomato slices, beetroot relish, ketchup, fried onions and finally top with a fried egg.

I have made these burgers several times now because they were such a hit. The first time I made the recipe exactly as described in the cookbook and it was absolutely delicious. The second time around I didn't have all of the same topping ingredients on hand so I decided to improvise with what I had in my fridge so I topped my burger with caramelized onions, goat cheese, arugula and a bit of fig jam and they were very scrumptious too! (those are the ones pictured above) This makes for a fantastic burger patty that pairs well with a variety of different toppings.

Enjoy!  xo, Stef

Recipe found here at www.whatkatieate.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top