After years of collecting various vintage items from the 50's and 60's we have compiled a short but sweet list of the five essential items needed to create your very own mid-century living room!
1. A piece of wooden art for the wall: Nothing says mid century like wooden wall hangings, so keep your eyes peeled for something unique and teak! When in doubt, you can't go wrong with the ever-popular and iconic starburst clock. We never get tired of seeing those!
2. A kitschy lamp (or two!): One of my favorite things about the 50's and 60's was the amount of creativity that was put into designing unique lamps... They just don't make 'em like they used to! Not only do they add a lot of fun to a room, but they also give off soft lighting creating a relaxing mood in the room! Never rely soly on overhead lighting.
3. An amazing vintage sofa: This is what you want to focus your room around, so our advice? Don't be afraid of color! People tend to stick more towards neutral tones when it comes to chosing larger furniture items and then using the walls as the source of color. But why not do it the other way around? If you find a beautiful mid century tangerine orange or turquoise sofa snap it up! You can always paint your walls a neutral shade if you are afraid of having color overload. Trust me, you won't regret it! (We are speaking from experience here!)
4. A coffee table: Even coffee tables were fun during mid century times! Our personal favorite design is the boomerang or kidney-shaped tables, but if your room has more of a modern linear feel, we suggest going with a classic Danish teak one.
5. A retro bullet planter: We are firm believers of having plants in our homes (both real and fake) and we believe that it's important to have an amazing planter to showcase them, like a bullet planter! They come in a variety of different colors and heights, so you can insure that it matches your room perfectly! If you are interested you can buy them here.
So there ya have it! A few basic ingreidents to create your dream mid-century living room! Have fun!